Thursday, June 25, 2009

Memories 24

Truus and I entered into a prolific correspondence, expressing our love towards each other, and also to get the paperwork done for her emigration. If we were engaged, and committed to marriage within 30 days we would speed up the process. And going the Immigration way we would also qualify for financial assistance.

Truus" diary of those days include the following entries:
* I mentioned in my letter to Theo that I would like to buy a ring. I think it sounds better when I can say, “I am going to my fiancee instead of my boyfriend.” It just sounds more concrete.
* Next Sunday (Feb.7, 1960) Theo and I have set the date for our engagement. After church I am going over to his parents and at around one o’clock his father will put the ring (that I bought) on my finger At the same time Theo will put his ring on in Canada except there will be seven hours difference in time.

* Mother Decock had said to me: “I don’t doubt for one second that you will a be good wife for Theo.” That is very comforting for me to hear. So I asked father Decock to place the ring on my finger and he was just tickled pink!

Moving to April 20, 1960 I found myself waiting at Stephenson Field, the pathetic little airport in the city of Winnipeg. The airport has expanded since then, and is expanding again in 2009. Truus had landed. Coming from Holland where everything was in full bloom by now, I felt I should apologize for the bare trees, the half melted piles of black and grey snow still decorating our streets. But she had not even noticed.

The next days were dedicated to resting up, and getting to know each other better. A friend had offered that Truus could stay with them, until the day of the wedding. Most days she spent also some time in my apartment as evidenced by subtle changes: Furniture was moved, and a tablecloth appeared out of nowhere. And not to forget, there was a real meal in the kitchen, ready to be served.

1 comment:

Trudy said...

Yes it amazes me how the Lord put it all together. We could not have planned this, even if we'd tried. God saw a need in our lives.

In my Diary I write a lot more, Ted just took a few lines here and there.

The Lord has Blessed us in so many ways.