Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Story 20

After a few years enjoying my independence, I began to feel lonely. I felt I was ready to get married. But the girls I knew in Canada did not appeal to me. You know, when you are lonely you begin to lower your standards, as natural urges ask for recognition. That I did not want. I had to ask God for direction. I knelt down by my green easy chair and said: "God if you don't give me a nice wholesome wife, I will not be responsible for the consequences." I believe that God hears the intent of the heart rather that the beauty of the language, which in my case was a little coarse, I realize that. Within days things began to happen.

A Dutch friend encouraged me to go and visit my family in Holland, especially, because one of my brothers was getting married around Christmas time. The Bank of Nova Scotia was the first to offer loans for the purpose of travel. And that is where I did my banking. They were extremely helpful. Soon I found myself aboard that noisy "Super Connie" crossing the Atlantic. The trip took 22 hours. I felt very strongly I had to talk to my dad and see if he would have anything to say, if he would be able to give me some counsel. Whatever! The next story is 100% true, it still amazes me.

The living room was full of people. You know how that goes. Time for shallow talk and laughter. And there I was, hoping for a serious discussion. "God", I whispered under my breath, "This is not going to work!" Immediately dad turned around and asked me point blank:" Son, how is the girlfriend situation there in Canada?" Amazingly, this is what I wanted to talk about. My answer was: "The way I want them they don't make them anymore...!" " Not to worry" he replied, "you will meet the right one and you will immediately know that this is your wife, there will not be any doubt." Boy , that felt good! The assurance, the positiveness of his voice. I managed to say: "How can you be so sure?" Dad said: "That is how it happened to me, and that is how it will be for you." I come from a Pentecostal background, but I had never heard a prophesy like that! Positive, direct, clear, and accompanied by an enormous peace. That is how you do that! Ever notice that in a single moment you can learn a whole bunch of things? I did.

I had to get some "polite" visits out of the way in the next few days, and then start on the "old buddy" visits. Then the amazing story continued. What Dad had prophesied, and I use that word on purpose, happened. The next entries will cover some of the amazing details.

No comments: