Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Story 12.1

Every once in a while the church organized a youth conference somewhere in Holland. At first we attended without any noble thoughts, we were just out for "keet schoppen" (some slightly rowdy fun). And indeed we enjoyed ourselves being in another city and free from parental control. As we grew up, gradually we became more serious and realized that this that this was a golden opportunity to meet new girls. And that in a respectable Christian setting!

I remember one time we boarded the church bus to Eindhoven. It was a long bouncy ride, and a long bouncy ride back. But it would all be worth while if you established a new relationship. I do not remember any of the sermons we had to expose ourselves to. I am sure that God used that ministry to keep many of us on the straight-and-narrow. When it was over I remember that I was a bit disappointted because I had not met any interesting girls. Going back ,I found a seat on the bus, and when I looked up a girl had taken the place in front of me. All I could see of course was her pretty red hair that bounced in front of me. After a while she began to stir uncomfortably, I understood she was trying to take a nap, but the designers of the bus had placed a chrome tube where your head meets the back of the seat.

For myself, I had rolled some gloves in my scarf, using that as a pillow. After watching her struggle for a while I offered my little pillow to the young lady. She got off in Amsterdam. She turned, gave me my improvised pillow back, and kissed me on the cheek. Inside my pillow was a note with her name and address.

Suddenly my trip to Eindhoven was a great success. After a week or so I decided to go visit her. That was really the first time I had a good look at her face. But what really freaked me out is that she had cut her pretty hair, and now sported a bunch of ugly stubble. Why do women do that!? It is like saying: "Would you still like me if I was ugly?" Of course not! At least not at that age. Young guys are shallow; how she looks is more inportant then how she cooks! Other then that, we really had nothing in common. No redeeming qualities, I decided. Well, I just tell it the way I saw it!

1 comment:

Yvonne Parks said...

Bahahahahaha