Monday, July 20, 2009

My story 28

In the early seventies we were attending Ness avenue Baptist Church. The atmosphere at the time was, well, jovial I would say. I volunteered to do the posters, announcing the special events from time to time.

The day after I quit TransAir one of the members at church, Ben H. phoned me. He worked for the Winnipeg Bible College, and they had special meetings coming up to promote the College. Could I do the posters for them? They offered to pay, because there would be a fair bit of expense in materials, and I had no job as of yesterday. I bought the materials and set up the desk and went to work. That turned out to be my first order in my new career. Before I was finished I had several additional orders, including a 4' X 8' sign promoting a new business. I had no problem with design an lay-out because of training earlier in life. But the biggest problem was to find the correct materials, and new paints, and the brushes they use nowadays for lettering. That was all new to me. I visited a number of other sign shops and looked at the brand names, and asked who the suppliers were.

Credit management was hard on me and I ended up on medication for High Blood Pressure. The Sign Business was relaxing, at least at first. Then I ran an small ad for about six months, and I came to a point where it could support the family. It was not always easy, we had severe ups and downs. We would save up some money, then lost it again during a slack periods.

Often I would smell up the house with the pungent odours of the various paints and thinners. And not once did Trudy complain about that. If you know what sensitive sense of smell God had planted in that nose, you will realize that this was close to miracle!

So with me painting in the basement, Trudy doing housekeeping, the scene was set for a new baby. Actually, we had not exactly planned it this way. Trudy would have rather continued working for Eaton's and explore her ability to earn a good salary. Seems God had other plans, He had an other blessing in mind for us; Yvonne. All in all we were totally overjoyed to hold our little girl. She was a real blessing, she still is today!

1 comment:

Yvonne Parks said...

isn't it weird that I basically do the same job you did??? (well..with some technology upgrades etc...)

Neat... must be all the thinner Mom inhaled during her pregnancy!! :P